Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Project for Projects

I wanted to make a place that Sean and Matthew could hang up all their drawings and colorings, and whatever else they make. Sean tends to get attached to his artwork, so I wanted a way for him to decide what he keeps, and what we throw out because we are not saving every little thing forever. I saw this Ruler Clip Rail on this blog here. It looked easy enough, and my mom said she had an extra meter stick at school, so I think I spent $1.19 on clothes pins and a couple hours with Sean and it was done!


Sean loves to make faces for the camera lately.

The original plan called for jumbo clips, but I wanted to have more, so I used 9 regular sized ones. Sean picked the colors and helped paint about half of them. My OCD was a challenge for me. I really wanted to have them done my way, but I was able to let some imperfections slide. I was going to glue the clothes pins down, but I couldn't find my glue gun and the plans said to screw them in anyway. Jon had exactly what I needed in his collection of nails and screws and I got it all done before he came home from work.

What I love about this is that it can only hold a limited number of beautiful pieces of the boys' art. They get to decide what stays and what goes. I will try to help the boys avoid becoming pack rats like I once was. (Amy visited once when she was in college and I was in middle school and got rid of all my saved school work from 2nd and 3rd grade- it was serious!) Sean's only request was that we hang it low enough that he can reach the clips. Simple enough. A friend of mine made one of these using ribbon instead of a meter stick and it is also super cute.


See what I mean?

2 comments:

Sarah Webb said...

cute. Good job!

Our Deli-Sub said...

you will be glad you screwed them in. Glue guns are great but screws are better. Good job!