Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Adventures in Maryland

Most of the time while Jon was in class, the boys and I stayed at the hotel. It often looked like this:


The boys also built lots of forts or piles of pillows to jump in. They were very creative in their small space.

The first couple days were pretty cold, but then the sun came out!! The boys and I went to a park called Point Lookout State Park. It was very pretty there. If you can tell on this map where it is, you can just imagine the beauty of this park.



It was still pretty windy, even though the sun was shining, so we didn't linger as much as Sean would have liked (he was mad when we left!), but it was still fun.




Sean wanted to walk out to the end of this rock path. Matthew was scared of the waves for some reason (they were really slow moving, so I don't know what his deal was), so I stayed with him and sent Sean off on his own.



Sean was pretty excited to be out that far and was running and jumping on all the rocks. I was pretty proud of his agility out there.

Before we left for Maryland, I looked up some lighthouses because I thought it would be fun to see them. There's one at this park, but it's only open to the public on weekends, so we didn't get to go inside, but it was still fun to look at.


Here's a little panoramic video for you



There were lots of signs around telling about the history of the location. There was a hospital there for a while. I guess John Smith landed here and spent lots of time in the area. There was also a POW camp and there is a memorial set up for the prisoners who died there just outside of the park.


I was trying to take fancy shots of the scenery


Here are a couple pictures at the memorial site...



...and the cemetery. We didn't walk around here, but the obelisk was picture worthy.

We were driving around the countryside and there was a wild turkey taking a leisurely stroll across the road. 



While we were in Maryland, we also visited a Naval Air Museum. It was fun to see this museum as we love the Naval Undersea Museum across the country.

There was a control panel that the boys sat at for a long time flipping switches and turning knobs. Then we went into the room where there was a plane to sit in.




Sean wanted to know how all the controls worked. He was very interested in learning how to fly the plane.
Matthew, on the other hand, was trying desperately to figure out how to get buckled in (he's sort of a fanatic about buckles)


There were a couple different model aircraft carriers, tons of model planes and helicopters, some weapons, a few ejector seats, uniforms, engines, and more. It's a nice museum.

Outside, there were many airplanes, some helicopters, and 2 trucks on display. They were really cool. The museum was about to close, so we had to look at them all quickly.




Go Navy!!


No comments: