Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day Fun

For Mother's Day this year, we went to the Olympic Mountains. The last time we went, Sean got carsick and we found out after we got there that we weren't allowed to have our dog on the trails with us, so it was sort of a bust. This time, we went right before getting our dog so we'd be able to explore. The weather forecast was good, so up we went. Well, the sun was shining, but I didn't realize how much snow was still up there! The boys and I were a bit chilly in our shorts and the trails are all still buried in snow. One of these days we'll make it on the trails!! We had lunch in the visitor's center and looked at the cool exhibits. Jon helped someone break into their car (he sustained a gash on his wrist, but nothing too serious). We walked on part of the road that was cleared. It was really a beautiful day, I was just too cold to enjoy it for very long. 

The mountains are so amazing!




Here are the guys at a pull-out where you can see the Straight of Juan de Fuca. We kept telling the boys how lucky they are to live in this beautiful area of the world. Not everyone can visit mountains and the ocean in the same day.

Since it was such a sunny day and we were out that direction anyway, we decided to check out the Dungeness Spit. There is a little walk through the woods to get to the sand (again, amazing that these places are so close to where I live) and then the spit goes out a loooong way. 


Love these brothers!

That way to Canada!




Jon put this rock out there for Sean so he could keep his feet dry.

Matthew always finds treasures. Here's a crab shell.

We made some meditative rock towers. 




The boys loved the adventures, I enjoyed the beauty, Jon drove so I could nap on the way home. It was a great mother's day. I'll take another one next year, please.



1 comment:

Holly said...

Meditate: Ellaaaaa, Ellaaaaaa, Ellaaaaaaaa. Awww! You guys got so many good pictures! Sean and Matthew are adorable...holding hands looking at the ocean. Looks like a lot of fun! Happy Mother's Day!