Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Stroll Through My Garden

I've been working my tail off (as Sean says) in the garden and it's not finished yet (I still want to put a fence up in front of the bark chips) but I feel like I'm making some good progress. I wanted to put some pictures up (mostly to brag to my mom).

In the front left, the kids have already dug a new "cousin club" complete with built in benches and arm rests.

The rosemary finally has a permanent spot next to some lavender. I hope it will bring lots of nice bees to the garden.

Rosemary blossoming

Lovely lavender

I have two potato bags and they are doing great! Last year, I harvested too early (I didn't know what I was doing and didn't wait for the plants to flower. I know better now) so I'm hoping for a better harvest this year.

One veggie box. Tomatoes, peppers, parsley, basil, carrots, etc.

The other veggie box. Lettuces, spinach, kale, broccoli, squashes, beans, etc. The squash doesn't appear to be growing and my broccoli and cauliflower have been nearly completely eaten by caterpillars, but I'll take what I can get.

Kale

We're going to have more than 5 blueberries this year! Hooray!!

Raspberries

Strawberries. The plants look so vibrant and happy!

Cilantro. I'm so excited about this and I've already used some.

Jasmine. This is not in its permanent spot yet. I have plans for it to be growing up the gate into the garden. 

There it is. I have some plants and they bring me a lot of joy. I have harvested some spinach already and I have some flowers on my tomatoes. 
Already this year, I have learned: 
  • that it's ok to plant some things outside earlier than I did
  • to check my cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli daily for caterpillars. They are vicious! 
  • that our puppy likes to steal the little plastic markers from the boxes! 
  • that I'm a tiny bit more patient about gardening than last year. 
  • I still love this!




4 comments:

Lorainne Brady said...

Amazing! You have been a busy girl! I love the functionality and space that you have, with all the possibilities of abundance of crop! And so pleasing to the eye.....

Nicole said...

It's sure coming along!

Wendy (mom) said...

What a lovely garden. you are nearly a master gardener. All your stuff looks so vibrant and alive. Love the cousin club area. These kids are too darling. lm

Holly said...

Seriously. Beautiful!